Your computer may not be using the correct program to launch applications from HarborCloud.
Typically, you just need to install the Citrix Receiver and then your computer will automatically start using the Citrix Receiver to launch HarborCloud applications. But if you click to launch an application from the HarborCloud Dashboard and some other program on your local computer opens up instead (Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word, IE, Notepad, etc.), then your computer didn't quite set the Citrix Receiver as the appropriate program to use here.
This is often accompanied with an error message stating that the other program is unable to open an .ica file.
The .ica files are Citrix files used by your web browser to virtualize your HarborCloud applications. These files are usually downloaded silently from your web browser and opened automatically by the Citrix application installed on your local computer. However, if the default program that your computer uses to open .ica file type is not a Citrix application, you will see some other program attempt to open the .ica file with little success.
This tends to happen to Google Chrome users, as in the past Chrome updates have affected the default-program file-type association for users before. However, it may affect any machine where your operating system failed to set the appropriate default program for .ica file when the Citrix Receiver was installed.
You simply need to adjust the default program that opens .ica files on your local computer to resolve.
For Windows Users:
- Launch the Control Panel
- Open the Default Programs menu (this is under Programs if you are in Category View)
- Choose to Associate a file type or protocol with a program
- Find the .ica file type and choose to Change program...
- Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client
- If you cannot find that directory, look for C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client instead
- Select wfcrun32 from the above directory and click Open to set the Citrix Connection Manager as the default program to launch .ica files
- Restart your web browser
- Log back into HarborCloud and launch your application again
For Mac Users:
- Locate the launch.ica file downloaded from Chrome (typically in your Downloads folder)
- Right-click (control + click) on the launch.ica file and select Open With > Other
- Browse to your Applications
- Select the Citrix Receiver, check the Always Open With checkbox, and click Open
If you need any assistance walking through these steps, please submit a request and we'll be sure to help you out. Thank you.